The Quantum Mirror is a device created by an unknown race that permits nearly instantaneous travel between two dimensions.
According to Dr. Sam Carter, "Okay the theory is, that there a infinite number of alternate realities. Some are very different, and some are almost identical." "There But For The Grace Of God."
"...according to quantum theory, for every possible universe, there are an infinite number of variations, diverging at every choice we make like forks in a road..." Point of View
How the Quantum Mirror Works
The Quantum Mirror, made of naquadah (a quartzite metal that's not found on Earth and the same material as the stargates.)
The mirror requires a hand-held controller to activate and control the device. When the mirror is off, the surface is non-reflective. When it is on, it displays the alternate universe.
The device allows the user to "dial" through the connected universes. The view of surroundings of the "receiving" quantum mirror is displayed.
When the person touches the mirror, there is a flash of light and they are tranported into the selected alternate universe and are now looking at their originating universe.
As long as it is turned on, you are connected to the same reality. If the quantum mirror is "turned off" Then the mirror is reset and you need to dial again to find your originating universe. You can control the increments the controller dials.
If a person stays in the alternate reality more than 48 hours, they begin to experience "Entropic cascade failure" on the cellular level. It is caused by the increased entropy of two people existing in the same reality. The visiting person literally begin to distort. It looks like a video that has gone out of focus. The more time passes, the worse it gets.
It is very painful. (3.06 Point of View)
Differences in Alternate Realties
Reality 1 (1.20 "There But For The Grace Of God")
- Daniel Jackson had not joined the Stargate Program and was killed during the attack on Cairo.
- Samantha Carter had not joined the military but was part of the program.
- Catherine Langford was still part of the Stargate program
- General Jack O'Neill is in charge of the SGA
- Dr. Carter and Gen. O'Neill are engaged.
- Hammond is a Colonel.
- Teal'c is still first prime of Aphophis and led the invasion of the SGA. He wears a top knot.
- Chulac had never been visited.
- Abydos' gateroom was destroyed during the first mission and the cartouche room with all the gate addresses was never found.
- Aphophis invaded earth from ships. Earth knew of the invasion for six months but were unable to stop it.
- The Self Destruct destroyed the SGA, killing Carter, Langford, and Teal'c. Hammond, Harriman, and O'Neill were already dead.
- Their teams did not find a quantum mirror on P3X-233.
Reality 2 (3.06 "Point of View")
- Dr. Samanantha Carter had not joined the Air Force.
- Major Charles Kawalsky was still alive and is O'Neill's "best friend."
- The Goa'uld attacked Earth from ships.
- Dr. Daniel Jackson was not part of the Stargate Program.
- Their team found a quantum mirror on P3X-233 and their scientists learned to use it.
- Colonel Jack O'Neill was killed 3 days before Carter and Kawalsky escaped. He was killed in front of Apophis.
- Carter and O'Neill are married and celebrated their anniversary "a few weeks ago" with a quiet dinner for two at home. Just as the Goa'uld were entering the solar system.
- They had not contacted the Asgard.
- Teal'c is still first prime to Apophis and has a small beard.
- There is no mention of Catherine Langford.
- Hammond is a general and is captured and tortured by Anubis for information about the Beta Site.