SGU 2.13 "Alliances" Episode Guide
Senator Michaels and Dr. Andrew Covel visit Destiny to analyze Rush's data; an alien ship crashes into Homeworld Command, endangering Greer and Wray.
Guide | Transcript
MGM/Syfy.com Official Summary
Official summary is not available as this episode has not yet aired in the United States.
- [SENATOR MICHAELS] Female, 50s, striking, tough, smart, with an edge. A powerful and respected politician. She comes onboard the ship to assess the future potential and long term viability of the mission, and does not necessarily draw the conclusions that our characters would have hoped. She has a pre-existing relationship with Chloe, having been friends with Chloe's father who was also a Senator. She's known her since Chloe was a little girl, and always thought that she would follow in her father's footsteps. She's saddened and disappointed that Chloe is now stuck on the ship, possibly for the rest of her life. She considers this a tremendous waste of potential. Chloe tries to get her to see the value in what they're doing, and in the end, courageously facing her own imminent death, the Senator expresses her pride in Chloe's achievements. Possibly recurring. Names preferred.
- [DR. ANDREW COVEL] (rhymes with shovel) Male, 40s, a contemporary and former colleague of Rush. Brilliant, but in Rush's mind more of a political survivor than pure scientist. He is brought onboard to assess the validity of a tremendous discovery that Rush has made, something that, if confirmed, could change the way we look at the very nature of the universe. But he does not trust Rush's evidence, and is not willing to go out on a limb, staking his own position/reputation on Rush's interpretation of the data. In the end, facing his own imminent death, he makes a cowardly decision, trying to survive by sacrificing someone else. Possibly recurring. Names preferred.
Notes from Audition Sides:
- Covel was offered Icarus before Rush, but turned it down. Rush believes that Covel doesn't "see the potential" and had just brushed off the Ancient database information as "mythological mumbo jumbo" about "the gods and ultimate understanding."
- Rush has detected an Ancient signal from millions of years ago and found a pattern within it. Covel doesn't want to believe Rush's conclusions about the signal.
- Senator Michaels knows Chloe because her father was also a Senator. She is sorry that Chloe is stuck on Destiny and will probably never get home. She thinks it's a waste because Chloe had great potential.
- Something terrible might have happened to Dr. Amanda Perry in this episode or before during a communication link.
- Covel attempts to help himself to someone else's body when faced with possible exposure to lethal radiation levels. He attempts to prevent the discontinuation of a connection link, hoping that even if one person involved in a connection dies, the other might still be able to survive.
- Varro from the Lucian Alliance is still alive.
- Robert Carlyle as Dr. Nicholas Rush
- Louis Ferreira as Col. Everett Young
- Brian J. Smith as 1st Lt. Matthew Scott
- Elyse Levesque as Chloe Armstrong
- David Blue as Eli Wallace
- Alaina Huffman as 1st Lt. Tamara Johansen
- Jamil Walker Smith as MSgt. Ronald Greer
Guest Starring: (not all of these are confirmed)
- Kathleen Quinlan as Sen. Michaels
- French Stewart as Dr. Andrew Covel
- Mike Dopud as Varro
- Peter Kelamis as Adam Brody
- Stargate Universe: Season Two
- Previous: SGU 2.12 "Twin Destinies" Episode Guide
- Next: SGU 2.14 "Hope" Episode Guide
- "Linda, meanwhile, gets her turn at the whiteboard in the coming days when we’ll spin and break her eppy." — Joseph Mallozzi, March 17, 2010
- "Today, we broke Linda’s story (episode 13), which explores the relationship of two of my very favorite characters..." — Joseph Mallozzi, March 24, 2010
- "Linda puts out the outline for Alliances. I file it away for later perusal." — Joseph Mallozzi, April 16, 2010
- "Linda is working on a first draft of her script (what was that title again?)" — Joseph Mallozzi, May 3, 2010
- "Lisa continues work on her first draft of Alliances..." — Joseph Mallozzi, May 12, 2010
- "I suspect we’ll be seeing a first draft of episode #13, Alliances, sometime soon. This one explores one of the more interesting relationships aboard Destiny and I’m eager to see what Linda does with it." — Joseph Mallozzi, May 14, 2010
- "Linda delivered her first draft of Alliances..." — Joseph Mallozzi, May 18, 2010
- "Linda is working on her rewrite of Alliances..." — Joseph Mallozzi, May 27, 2010
- Don writes: "One thing I’ve been curious to see is a story where someone uses the stones to come to Earth and something big is happening there." Answer: "Like in season two’s Alliances?" — Joseph Mallozzi, July 11, 2010
- "Today’s random Stargate: Universe potential spoiler/teaser… " Image — Joseph Mallozzi, August 10, 2010
- "...with Paul prepping Alliances, my presence will be required on set to make sure actor Peter Kelamis doesn’t finish off all the craft service sandwiches again. Still, I should have the script – with its A, B, C, and D stories – in pretty good shape by the end of August." — Joseph Mallozzi, August 12, 2010
- "As Brad pointed out, the actor playing the part of Dr. Andrew Covel in episode #213 brings to four the number of guest stars who also appeared in the original Stargate movie." — Joseph Mallozzi, August 20, 2010
- "My writing partner, Paul, was also in bright and early to supervise the on-set action on Alliances. After our breakfast chat and updates, he headed down to Stage 6 to negotiate the rubble while I headed over to join the location scout for The Hunt." — Joseph Mallozzi, August 26, 2010
- "Kathleen Quinlan (Apollo 13) stars as Senator Michaels, who replaced the late Senator Armstrong as the new head of the off-world spending committee. French Stewart (3rd Rock From The Sun) guest stars as Dr. Andrew Covel, the new head of research at Stargate Command." — Syfy Press Release, September 16, 2010
- "In season one, we set the groundwork for the series and tried to give each of our main players a spotlight episode (in Greer’s case, it was Lost). As we headed into season two, we broke down our stories and ensured that each main character would have one (or more) spotlight episodes. When it comes time to lining these episodes up in the production schedule, their placement is dictated by the overall season arc and ongoing storylines, so even if one character may seem light in the first half of the season, that won’t be the case for the second half. In the case of Greer, he’s got two big episodes in season 2 (in addition to a lot of terrific beats and throughlines in other episodes), but you’ll have to wait until the back half to see them: episode #213, Alliances, and episode #216, The Hunt. In fact, one of the things SyFy’s Erika Kennair remarked on during her last visit to the Stargate set was the significant development in both the Greer and T.J. characters this season." — Joseph Mallozzi, November 16, 2010
- Joseph Mallozzi's Blog
- Solutions: Syfy Press Release Names Guest Stars for SGU S2, September 16, 2010
--DeeKayP 02:21, 28 May 2010 (UTC)