SGA 5.10 "First Contact Part 1" Episode Guide
Dr. Daniel Jackson comes to do research into the history of the Atlantian Ancient Janus who built a timeship in a puddle jumper 10,000 years ago. During his visit, a new enemy in the galaxy gets revealed.
Guide | Transcript
MGM/SciFi.com Official Summary
The official summary is not available as this episode has not yet aired in the United States.
- Joe Flanigan as Lt. Col. John Sheppard
- Rachel Luttrell as Teyla Emmagan
- Jason Momoa as Ronon Dex
- Jewel Staite as Dr. Jennifer Keller
- Robert Picardo as Richard Woolsey
- and David Hewlett as Dr. Rodney McKay
- Written by Martin Gero
- Directed by
The following are links to images concerning the production of this episode and were published by Joseph Mallozzi in his personal blog:
- Season Five Episode Guides
- Episode Guides
- Season Five Transcripts
- Previous: SGA 5.09 "The Queen" Episode Guide
- "It really hit home this afternoon when I glanced up at the whiteboard and saw the big, empty space beneath the Season 5 heading and beside the numbers 1 through 20. Marty G. helpfully filled in areas with the following titles: Premiere, Mid-Season Two Parter, and Finale. Awesome! 4 down and 16 to go!" — Joseph Mallozzi in his personal blog, October 24, 2007.
- "The writers have convened in the writer's room to discuss the mid-season two parter." — Alex Levine in his scifi.com blog, January 25, 2008.
- "Marielabbott writes: “Any chance Weir might be figuring prominently in the mid-season two-parter?” Answer: Nope." — Joseph Mallozzi in his personal blog, January 31, 2008.
- "So far, we’ve got a terrific, BIG two-parter planned. I suspect that the page count in the Daniel/McKay scenes (featuring the two fastest-talking actors in show business) will have the scheduling gurus doing back-flips. Remember that new enemy I mentioned? Oh, and Marty G. will be doing the honors on this one." — Joseph Mallozzi in his personal blog, February 5, 2008.
- "Marty G. will do the honors for the mid-season two-parter (Welcome back to Atlantis, Dr. Jackson). — Joseph Mallozzi in his personal blog, February 20, 2008.
- "Marty G. has yet to come up with a title." — Joseph Mallozzi in his personal blog, February 28, 2008.
- "Marty G. gets a head start on the mid-season two-parter." — Joseph Mallozzi in his personal blog, March 4, 2008.
- "HE'S BAAACK: Former "Stargate: SG1" regular Michael Shanks reports he's been invited to come aboard "Stargate: Atlantis." "It was the most cryptic, enigmatic pitch of a story I've ever heard," say Shanks, who'll be reprising his popular "SG1" role as Dr. Daniel Jackson in a recurring capacity. "The pitch was: 'You go to Atlantis and something happens and Daniel has to help everybody to get rid of the bad guys that are coming.' I was like, 'Wow, did you spend a lot of time thinking that one up?' But it's one of those things. Stargate is like old home. It's always nice to be able to revisit that universe and those individuals and to play that character again." — Interview with Michael Shanks, The National Ledger, March 13, 2008.
- "Marty G. hammers away at the still untitled mid-season two-parter." — Joseph Mallozzi in his personal blog, March 13, 2008.
- PG15 writes: "Would you say that there are hints/foreshadowing in any of the first 9 episodes of the season of the new race/enemy introduced during the Mid-season 2 parter?" Answer: "I would not." — Joseph Mallozzi in his personal blog, March 20, 2008.
- "Thank you to Marty G. who had us spinning in the writers’ room for about twenty minutes over lunch today, trying to come up with a title for the mid-season two-parter. I kind of liked A Smattering of Scenes - but no one else did. So - still nothing. But that didn’t stop him from putting out a first draft of part one." — Joseph Mallozzi in his personal blog, March 26, 2008.
- "Oh, I also found time to join with the other writers in giving Marty G. notes on the (still untitled) first part of the mid-season two-parter..." — Joseph Mallozzi in his personal blog, March 31, 2008.
- "The premise is that Daniel shows up in Atlantis to do some research. He's been excited to come to Atlantis for five years now, and things have finally calmed down on the S.G.C. side to give him some free time. So he's coming to Atlantis to do some research on Janus. And that's all I'm going to say." — Martin Gero, Gateworld interview, April 3, 2008.
- "First Contact is not a time travel story." — Martin Gero, Gateworld interview, April 3, 2008.
- "McKay finds it very frustrating, because McKay feels like he's followed up any leads that are promising. So McKay is kind of angry -- he thinks it's someone coming over to check his work, basically, and is not the happiest that Daniel is coming to Atlantis. Also McKay is very territorial. He likes being the 'head Ancient guy.'" — Martin Gero, Gateworld interview, April 3, 2008.
- Joseph Mallozzi's Blog
- Gateworld: Mid-season cliffhanger is 'First Contact', Martin Gero interview, April 3, 2008.
--DeeKayP 21:12, 3 April 2008 (PDT)