Author Topic: Daniel in Atlantis (Spoilers for mid-season two-parter)  (Read 1738 times)

DeeKayP

Daniel in Atlantis (Spoilers for mid-season two-parter)
« on: February 28, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »
Daniel is going to "Daniel Disneyland" - read about it here - SGA S5: "Welcome Back to Atlantis, Dr. Jackson".

What do you think brings him there and what do you think his role will be concerning the new enemy?

Whisper

• Tau'ri
Re: Daniel in Atlantis (Spoilers for mid-season two-parter)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 06:18:57 PM »
Daniel is going to "Daniel Disneyland" - read about it here - SGA S5: "Welcome Back to Atlantis, Dr. Jackson".

What do you think brings him there and what do you think his role will be concerning the new enemy?

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the two part mid-season episodes with Daniel in it.  I hope he has a good, meaty role in his guest spot, like Teal'c had in Midway.  It's fun to see the characters still 'alive' in the Stargate Universe.  I'm just hoping that it won't be Daniel who will find the new 'big bad' this time.

DeeKayP

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 11:43:41 AM »

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the two part mid-season episodes with Daniel in it.  I hope he has a good, meaty role in his guest spot, like Teal'c had in Midway.  It's fun to see the characters still 'alive' in the Stargate Universe.  I'm just hoping that it won't be Daniel who will find the new 'big bad' this time.

I think Daniel's finding the big bad has become a character trait. :(

But, this is Stargate Atlantis and he's not part of the regular cast, so it is possible that McKay does it instead. ;)

I'm hoping that we'll see Daniel at his intellectual best - translating, associating historical events with his current findings, making great leaps in solving a puzzle, etc.

I haven't seen The Ark of Truth yet, so I can't say how much of Daniel's ascension story arc remains to be tapped. I was hoping that there would be something of his time as host to Merlin to come into play in Atlantis, since Merlin was Moros, the last High Councilor of Atlantis during the evacuation 10,000 years ago. Daniel had some memories of Atlantis from the download in "The Quest Part 2", but it did seem to imply that he had nothing of those memories left in "The Shroud". That's kind of a pity if true.

I hope that Woolsey is the one to call Daniel to Atlantis. I loved these two men's history. They've come a long way and I think that Woolsey has great respect for Daniel and his work -- he basically admitted that in "The Shroud". I'd love to see some more evidence of Woolsey's complete confidence in Daniel and his abilities.

Maybe Sheppard's team comes across some very, very old ruins with writing on them that no one can figure out. Maybe these ruins have a connection to the Ancients when they first arrived in the Pegasus Galaxy. Maybe the ruins tell of the story of the Wraith's creation. Whatever, I hope the writers take the time to show how good Daniel is at figuring out mysteries such as this. Ever since the movie, it has been shown that Daniel thinks outside the box.

When Mallozzi mentioned that there would be a lot of Daniel-McKay rapid-fire dialogue, my first thought was that maybe the discovery implies a new power source - or maybe provides information on how ZPMs are made. That would be what McKay would get excited about -- and he'd talk rapidly about. Daniel talks rapidly when he's trying to make a point for further exploration or has made a great discovery that he's worked hard to uncover.

Those two together are a very dynamic duo, I think. They'd share in their enthusiasm for a common discovery, but each be excited about it from different perspectives.

I'm hoping that Daniel is used wisely in these episodes. I don't think that Michael Shanks would go unless the integrity of the character is maintained. He's pretty much put that challenge out to the writers in his interview in the Official Magazine (Mar/Apr).

DeeKayP

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:20:41 PM »
Michael Shanks tells us about the pitch in an interview:

Quote from: National Ledger interview
"HE'S BAAACK: Former "Stargate: SG1" regular Michael Shanks reports he's been invited to come aboard "Stargate: Atlantis." "It was the most cryptic, enigmatic pitch of a story I've ever heard," say Shanks, who'll be reprising his popular "SG1" role as Dr. Daniel Jackson in a recurring capacity. "The pitch was: 'You go to Atlantis and something happens and Daniel has to help everybody to get rid of the bad guys that are coming.' I was like, 'Wow, did you spend a lot of time thinking that one up?' But it's one of those things. Stargate is like old home. It's always nice to be able to revisit that universe and those individuals and to play that character again." — Interview with Michael Shanks, The National Ledger, March 13, 2008.

DeeKayP

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »
Not quite Daniel in Atlantis, but more Michael Shanks on the Atlantis sets:

From executive producer Joseph Mallozzi at Solutions.

From David Hewlett, who had most of the scenes with Michael in second unit under the direction of Martin Gero --
Quote from: David Hewlett
We've just finished the two-parter where I had WAY too much fun with the...can't say enough great things about him, Michael Shanks. That guy is such a star - funny, charming and the consummate professional...all with no attitude either!...I was bugging Mallozzi to bring him back after about an hour of working with the guy! Also had the pleasure of shooting with Gero as he directed us in a few second unit days. He really shone! He's a damn clever fellow and he really knows his stuff...certainly someone to keep your eye on...I look forward to doing battle with him! Great stuff!
- http://www.adogsbreakfastmovie.com/content/view/166/

DeeKayP

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
Quote from: Joseph Mallozzi's blog
Eglaviel writes: “Oh and if there is a Season 6 *fingers crossed* of SGA…what are the chances of us seeing Daniel Jackson again on the show?”

Answer: If we do get a sixth season pick-up, he’s at the top of our list.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/june-18-2008/

Somesuch

• Unas
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 07:03:04 PM »
Quote from: Joseph Mallozzi's blog
Eglaviel writes: “Oh and if there is a Season 6 *fingers crossed* of SGA…what are the chances of us seeing Daniel Jackson again on the show?”

Answer: If we do get a sixth season pick-up, he’s at the top of our list.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/june-18-2008/

Thanks Deekay :)

I was really pleased to read such a definate and positive response from JM about a possible Daniel return to Atlantis. Mostly JM's responses to characters returning to the show are much more vague, so I hope I'm right to be encouraged at the chance of seeing Daniel returnig to Atlantis again in the future.

DeeKayP

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 04:38:34 PM »
More from JM's blog:

Paul William Tenny writes: “Are we talking guest, recurring, or regular — preference-wise?”

Answer: Strictly preference-wise? The more Daniel, the better.
- http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/19/june-19-2008-gunfire-on-the-set/

Mahoney writes: “More Daniel in season 6 would be great; but, would he get to interact with folks other than just Rodney if that happened? Hopefully maybe?”

Answer: Ideally, yes.
- http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/20/june-20-2008-comic-con-update-dinner-at-fuel-and-yet-another-chunky-mailbag/

DeeKayP

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 07:24:21 PM »
Quote from: Joseph Mallozzi in interview
In terms of standout episodes off the top of my head I mean, I’m very happy with the first half. But of course,  one of the big episodes -- sort of like last year -- Be All My sins was a big midseason two-parter - the second part of the midseason two-parter.

In a similar way, the midseason two-parter is going to be very big this year. It’s First Contact and The Lost Tribe. And of course, Daniel Jackson will be dropping in for an appearance and that’s going to be huge for a lot of the SG-1 fans who, , I’m sure have missed him and,  have been asking,  what the hell is taking so long for Daniel to come on over to the Pegasus Galaxy.

Well they get the chance in the midseason two-parter. And, like last year’s Be All My Sins Remembered, it’s full of surprises and action, and spectacular visual effects and some really nice character moments, particularly with regard to McKay and Daniel Jackson who are two characters that really haven’t had a chance to sort of play off each other.

They play off each other really well. I mean one of the things I said was these two guys -- Hewlett and Shanks -- are the fastest talking actors in Sci-Fi,  bar none.
As a result - Martin Gero wrote both scripts and they were almost like 60-page scripts which a 60-page script is usually long.

I think First Contact was exactly to (top) and I’m not sure what Lost Tribe was - maybe a minute over. So, a lot of rapid fire talk between the two. And, hopefully, it’ll be an episode that the fans will love just as much as last year’s midseason two-parter.
- http://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/features/article_1415529.php/Robert_Picardo_and_Joe_Mallozzi_discuss_command_changes_on_Stargate_Atlantis?page=1

DeeKayP

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 07:13:32 PM »
Quote from: Robert Picardo (plays Richard Woolsey)
You've got episodes coming up with Michael Shanks again.

Oh yeah, he's great, he's great fun. I love his character. And of course, the two of them together, talking -- I was a fast talker, on Voyager. But I cede the competition to those guys [laughs]. I don't know that, even in my prime, when I could talk really fast, I could keep pace with them, but now I know I cannot.
- http://scifi.about.com/od/actors/a/SGAT_picardo_5.htm